Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sister Hinkley, Wow, What a Lady!

She said,
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenk's lawn. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someones garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

Amen to that!

5 comments:

Carrie Carp said...

Yay, Ruthann! Thanks for dropping me a note, you have less than a week holy crap! Well, I just noticed your post on natural childbirth and I'm with you. My dang baby was footling breach around my due date when I was very large and 3 cm dilated. There was nothing we could do, so I had to have a c-section. HOWEVER, I was all about the natural childbirth. My mom did it, her mom did it, her mom's mom did it, etc. But when I told people I wanted to do it they told me that was a stupid idea. I still feel the blow when I think about it. Don't let people talk you out of it! If you're committed it's totally possible! You'll be in my prayers. If I can find a doctor who'll agree to do a VBAC then I'll hopefully follow in your footsteps, so let me know how it goes...

Sorry to be so long winded. It's good to hear from you! I LOVE Sister Hinckley's quote, it both motivates and comforts me big time.

Let me know when you're up to hanging out. I totally don't blame you if that's not for like 6 months!!!!

The Van Fam said...

Oh I love that quote! I've never heard that before but it really puts things into perspective!

The Andersens said...

Ruthann-
Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately, we have probably never met. I grew up in Wyoming and Neil and I met at BYU. It has been so fun learning about all of Neil's friends through our blog. I'm glad you found us!
Best of luck with your newest little one.
Megan Andersen

The Herberts said...

What a great reminder! Thanks Ruthann!

Jami said...

I check you blog everyday...waiting in anticipation (spell check) for your little come to COME! I knoq you aren't due yet, but I just can't help but be SOO exicted for you! I hope you are delivering at Banner Gateway...they have that really cool labor tub. I heard that hot water is the best way to ease labor pain (other than drugs)!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...