Friday, August 8, 2008

19 Days To Go! (Warning...this kinda turned into what sounds like a journal entry...I think I even got up on my soap box for a little while...)

So, today I bought newborn size diapers...so tiny! I forgot how small babies are when they're newborn. Like 80 diapers don't even fill up 1 basket in the changing table. It's gonna be strange to have a baby that small again! I don't even remember what to do with a newborn!

Jaxon has always been on the larger size of the curve, so I'm interested to see how Henry will be. Last week, I had an ultrasound (at 36 weeks) and he was about 6 1/2 pounds...that's a good size considering the ultrasound tech said the baby could grow by a pound a week! That'd make a 10 1/2 pound baby! The doc said it could be more like 1/2 a pound a week so that made me feel a little better, which makes Jaxon's size (Jaxon was 8 pounds 5 ounces), but she said she didn't think Henry would be as big as Jaxon. She thought Henry would be high 7's to low 8's...so, we'll see...

Back to the diapers...that was the last thing I needed for Henry's hospital bag! He's all packed! It includes: a few blankets, onsies, socks, diapers, wipes, beannie...which, by the way, will he even need that? We are in Arizona! And it's summer! But they do say babies lose heat through their head...I don't know...Moms, what do you think? Did I forget anything?

I still need to get my bag ready and Jaxon's too (and stuff for Devin at the hospital too, huh?). My actual due date is August 27th, which is a Wednesday, but I don't anticipate actually having him that day. Jax was 7 days late, so I'm planning on being late again...might as well plan on being late. That way, it won't get my hopes up and if it's sooner, then great! I think too many moms expect the baby to come before the ESTIMATED due date (it's an estimation!) and then they get discouraged and impatient when the baby doesn't come the day they planned. And that leads to inductions and c-sections, which, some women are okay with, but I would never want for myself unless it was medically necessary. I believe the baby will come when it's ready...when Heavenly Father is ready to let him come to this earth. He's got a whole life ahead of him. Why would he want to come any sooner than he has to?

And...I'm planning on having a natural birth (no epidural)...I know, some people think it's crazy, but I wanna do it. Why? Well, partly because so many women believe they can't and I believe they can, and I can. I believe it takes EDUCATION and PREPARATION, but it can be done. I feel like it's my responsibility to educate myself to know what is going on with my body during such a huge, life-changing event so I can EXPERIENCE it and NOT BE SCARED of it. For such an experience, I'm surprised many mothers don't have the desire to learn about the process their body goes though. It really is amazing how Heavenly Father built female bodies able to accomplish such a grand thing--bringing his children into this world. I think every mother can chose what she feels is best for her and her baby. (So don't think I don't wanna be your friend if you're a fan of the epidural!) It's just for me, I don't want to go along with the doctors plan without being informed. The more I learn about it, the more I realize how awesome it is and I want to experience it. Plus, I know modern medicine and epidurals are a blessing, but it kinda makes me nervous to know there haven't been any long term studies (though there can be immediate problems) to prove there are no harmful effects and we never know what they'll discover... I tried it with Jaxon and made it through 8 hours of labor and 5 cm of dilation and gave in. I'm not gonna lie, it was nice once I had the epidural to not feel all the pressure, but this time I am better prepared and, plus, by posting it here that I'm gonna do it makes me have to be even more dedicated!

7 comments:

The Herberts said...

Congrats, Ruthann! You're almost there! Great Job! All I have to say is you are a strong, strong mommy! Good luck and I hope it all turns out the way you have it planned!!

Jami said...

Oh, ruthann, I am just so excited for you. I saved one of Graces newborn diapers just so I can remember evertime I see it. I think you are right on track. If you want to go all natural then DO IT! I am so impressed, I really do think that anyone can do it if they prepare, and put their mind to it. I took a birthing class before I had Grace and it made all the different, I wasn't scared at all after the class.
I want to hear all about it afterwards. I know you can do it!

Anonymous said...

I cant believe your almost done already!! I seems like I just found out you were prego...I hope it all goes well for you and you can make it through your plan!! Good luck :) Let me know anything new

Jenny said...

That birth plan sounds great & you are prepared. You are very calm and strong, and I wish you the best labor possible. :) What you are saying makes so much sense about child birth. My mom never regretting having all 4 of her kids naturally- she is also of pioneer stock, lol! Just a few more weeks!! Best Wishes!! xox
jen

The Stevens Family said...

You Go GIRL!! You are so brave and I hope everything goes great! I'm so so excited for you guys!

John and Jada McFarlane said...

Good Luck Ruthann! I am routing for you! You have to post how it goes. I know your little boy is going to be as cute as can be!

The Bottjer Family said...

I'll keep you in my prayers- heaven knows I would've needed it if I went natural! You're one tough girl! Love ya!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...