Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Broken Leg & Utah Trip

My long absence started because I got really sick with fever, chills, and the worst headache.  Turns out it was a sinus infection.  I guess I have never really had one before because I didn't know they could be so miserable!

Being a mommy is though, but being a sick mommy is even tougher.  I was sick the few days before Devin has off for Spring Break so he couldn't take time off to take care of me.  That was a bummer, but my wonderful mother and father in law came to the rescue and picked up Jaxon and Henry for 2 nights so I could rest with just the baby to take care of.  That time was very helpful for my recuperation.

After I recovered, we enjoyed a few days as a family for Devin's break.  Then, the night before we were scheduled to leave for a trip to Utah, Henry broke his leg!  Yep, poor guy was on the trampoline with his cousins.  When he came inside, he asked to lie down.  It was around 8 pm so we didn't think it was unusual that he was tired.  Then after sleeping for about 15 minutes, he woke up saying, "It's hurting!  My leg!  It's hurting!"  He wouldn't put his weight on it.  So, after a trip to the ER for x-rays, we learned that he did, in deed, break his leg.  I felt so bad for the little guy.  Seeing him lay there in the hospital bed waiting for the results was so sad.  He has been such a trooper though.  He was taking Tylenol with Codiene for a few days and it made him loopy!  I didn't like giving it to him because he would wake up literally every 30 minutes all through the night and when he was awake, he was all disoriented and wasn't acting like himself.  Yes, he had a broken leg and was in pain, but after a few days we stopped giving him that medication and switched to plain Motrin, his mood really improved.

The night we were in the ER they put a splint on him.  That was Wednesday night.  Then, he got his cast on almost a week later, on Tuesday.  They wanted to give it time to swell and come back down before getting the hard cast on.

After spending the night in the ER we were debating if we should still go on our trip.  It took us a while to stop worrying about other people judging us and thinking we were bad parents for not canceling in light of Henry's injury, but eventually we did and decided that the trip was still on!

So, Thursday morning we were off to see some of our favorite people, Josh & Joy!  We were very excited to stay a night with them on our way to Utah.  We heard about Josh's adventures with his new job and how Joy's business is doing so well she can barely keep up!  We are excited things are going so well for them in their new home, but we sure do miss spending time with them and their family!

After enjoying our visit with them, we headed for St. George on Friday morning.  We arrived and went straight to our favorite grocery store, Harmon's, to buy our favorite bread and favorite ice cream treat, Creamies!  (Not sold at home--sad!)

No, we didn't drive all the way to Utah to go grocery shopping!  It was just one reason ha!  We went up to St. George really to get away.  Just take a break and spend time in a city we love and have lots of memories.  Devin and I lived there after we were first married and we both graduated from Dixie College.  It's were I went through the temple for the first time and where I became a mommy.  But, anyway, about this trip...

So, that night one of my BFF's from high school and her husband (Lacie and Tayce) came over for dinner.  It was so fun to see them and visit.  They have been through so much and are absolutely amazing!  I'm so glad we got to catch up with them.  It was like we never left off!

Some of our other favorite people have moved away recently and relocated to Utah, Cody and Melody, stayed with us for 2 nights.  Because of Henry's broken leg we couldn't go out much, but we mostly just wanted to visit anyway.  Melody cooked some awesome meals and we all gained about 5 pounds!  She is doing Weight Watchers and told me one thing they tell people is, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."  I think that is a great thing to remember, but some food is just SO yummy I can't resist!  We tried watching an old Pippi Longstocking movie, but it was so annoying we had to turn it off.  We watched Despicable Me a few times and didn't even get tired of it.  I love when the girls blame the little guys for toilet papering the house and the youngest girl and her fluffy unicorn!  I laugh at those parts every time!

When it was time to go home we didn't want to do the whole drive in one day so we drove to Laughlin and stayed a night there then drove the rest of the way the next day.  It was fun to be in a hotel with the boys.  They were silly and liked  jumping on the bed until Jaxon fell off and knocked his head on the wall.  I have to admit I laughed before I realized he was crying.

Before bed I kept noticing how close to the edge of the bed Henry was getting.  I had Devin move him over twice.  I just knew he was going to fall off.  And, sure enough, he fell off during the night!  He was fine, but sometimes I am amazed at (and always thankful for) my own motherly intuition.

So our trip was a success.  We got to see people we miss and love.  We got to have some delicious food. We got to talk and laugh together on the car ride.  Oh, and we got to pay close to $100 per gallon for gasoline!

Pics coming...

No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...