This little quiz was in my Real Simple magazine and I thought it was interesting to see the results from a married couple, so I had Devin do it too...
1. When I'm finished using an item, I put it away immediately. --R
If only Devin did this too...
2. I love being surrounded by vibrant colors.
3. Whether I'm looking at a work of art or a room, I tend to prefer symmetrical design. --R, D
4. I like to move around my furniture a few times a year rather than stick with the same arrangement.
5. I'm the go-to party planner for friends and family.
6. Keeping current projects where I can see them is a must.
No! Put your stuff away!
7. I love having a designated spot for each item in my closet or drawers. --R
Yep, when something seems to be lost, I don't even know where to look because if it's not in the "designated spot" I can't think of anywhere else it might be!
8. On my computer, I often have multiple windows open at once. --D
Nope, close it if I'm not using it.
9. I have a specific morning routine that I always follow to a T. --D
I would have picked this one too, but there are always surprises with the kiddos in the morning that keep me from having a strict routine. But, we do have a schedule, it just has to be flexible.
10. When making major purchases, I usually follow my instincts rather then do research.
We both do lots of research before making big purchases.
11. I often wear the same jewelry everyday. --R, D
Wedding rings, small stud earrings unless it's date night, then I'll put on some fancy stuff.
12. If I have to explain directions to someone, I'll draw them a map instead of telling them verbally. --D
I can't stand a map! I want sentences with directions and street names!
13. When I find a great dish at a restaurant, I order it every time I go there. --D
I like to try new things.
14. I often drive with the Empty light flashing.
Way too scary!
15. I always bring a shopping list to the grocery store. --R, D
We have to or else we forget stuff!
16. I have a lot of knickknacks around the house.
We both don't like clutter.
17. My books and CDs are in order, so I can always find what I'm looking for. --R
18. My desk is filled with piles of papers, sticky notes, and business cards. --D
Oh his desk at work drives me crazy! I wouldn't be able to get anything done there!
19. I feel guilty if I don't follow the rules while playing board games. --R
I totally can't ever cheat because I feel bad!
20. I'm fine with other people making last-minute changes to plans.
Usually, it's not a big deal, but with kids, it's hard to make different arrangements at the last minute if we need to.
Ruthann: 1, 3, 7, 11, 15, 17, 19 -- 7 left, 0 right
Devin: 3, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18 -- 5 left, 3 right
Left brained: "Think in words (list makers), do a lot of advance planning, and approach challenges in a rational, linear way.
Right brained: "Visually oriented. They tend to think in images rather than words, focus on the big picture rather than the details, and go through life in a somewhat seat-of-the-pants (a.k.a. scattered) way.
--Real Simple, June 2010, page 198
It's interesting to me because he and I picked a lot of the same ones, but I think he seems way more right brained than me. He is pretty good at picking up after himself. It might not be the thing he would naturally do, but he knows I like him to do it, so he does. What a great man!